Skip to main content

How Nokia refused to repair my phone after a hardware failure

After 4 years of using Windows Phone devices using Nokia phones, this year I had to ‘fight’ Nokia services. A few weeks ago I had the unique chance to wake up in a morning with the following error message:
“Unable to find a bootable option error”
The black screen of dead from another device with the same problem:

I said “What the hell….”, I tried to restart the phone , but I ended with the same error message. Trying to use Nokia Recovery Tool to rewrite the OS… no result…. The phone is not seen by PC… The phone is completed dead.
From what I found from the internet, it seems that there is a problem with the internal flash memory. It is a common problem for Nokia and the phone cannot be repaired. In USA a lot of people sad that the device is replaced with another one.
Okay, I said no problem. The phone is still in warranty and I will send it back to the dealer. The screen of the phone has in the bottom left a small part of the screen broken (I broke it 1 year ago). But this is another problem and it is not connected to this. See below pictures.

The phone was bought from Emag, so I ended up at Depanero service. They send the phone to another company called Regeneris.
And there was a big surprise. My warranty was removed because the screen issue. Even if the error related to bootable option is a well know issue at Nokia and is not caused by the screen.
They offered me to repair outside the warranty with around 1150 RON (250E) with the condition that they need to change the screen also. Why? Because the internal problem that my phone means replacing the phone with a new one.
I still not understand in this moment why Nokia refuse to repair the problem related to boot error. I don’t want a new screen, I don’t want a new phone I only need to resolve an issues that is caused by hardware failure.
In the last 10 years I had only Nokia phones in my hand and never the cheap ones. And now, when I need a reparation of the phone, which is caused by a hardware failure they are refusing it.
Similar situations I know from friends that had iPhones and Apple changed their phones without any kind of problems or repaired the hardware failure.
I’m disappointed about customer support and services that Nokia and Microsoft has in this moment related to phones….
Why? Because I had to pay for their hardware failure. Even if we are talking about premium devices.
I wanted to upgrade this year to Lumia 1520 or Lumia 930 but I’m starting to have doubts. Why should I go Nokia when the customer support is so lame?


Comments

  1. How *Microsoft* refused to repair my phone after a hardware failure - fixed the title for you :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lousy hardware & software in these Lumias. I was also a nokia fan, just until a year ago when i went through the same crap with nokia care service support. My lumia 800 which i had since 2012 played dead on me. The battery was depleted to that point where it didn't even recognised the charger or the USB cable. It only showed me the empty battery and nothing. I went through hell with nokia care and ultimately i went to a local repair shop which resofted my device with a custom built thing named JTag or something like this. It costed me about 45E. And after about 8 or so months it happened again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lame in Romania :-) but good point ...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Windows Docker Containers can make WIN32 API calls, use COM and ASP.NET WebForms

After the last post , I received two interesting questions related to Docker and Windows. People were interested if we do Win32 API calls from a Docker container and if there is support for COM. WIN32 Support To test calls to WIN32 API, let’s try to populate SYSTEM_INFO class. [StructLayout(LayoutKind.Sequential)] public struct SYSTEM_INFO { public uint dwOemId; public uint dwPageSize; public uint lpMinimumApplicationAddress; public uint lpMaximumApplicationAddress; public uint dwActiveProcessorMask; public uint dwNumberOfProcessors; public uint dwProcessorType; public uint dwAllocationGranularity; public uint dwProcessorLevel; public uint dwProcessorRevision; } ... [DllImport("kernel32")] static extern void GetSystemInfo(ref SYSTEM_INFO pSI); ... SYSTEM_INFO pSI = new SYSTEM_INFO(

Azure AD and AWS Cognito side-by-side

In the last few weeks, I was involved in multiple opportunities on Microsoft Azure and Amazon, where we had to analyse AWS Cognito, Azure AD and other solutions that are available on the market. I decided to consolidate in one post all features and differences that I identified for both of them that we should need to take into account. Take into account that Azure AD is an identity and access management services well integrated with Microsoft stack. In comparison, AWS Cognito is just a user sign-up, sign-in and access control and nothing more. The focus is not on the main features, is more on small things that can make a difference when you want to decide where we want to store and manage our users.  This information might be useful in the future when we need to decide where we want to keep and manage our users.  Feature Azure AD (B2C, B2C) AWS Cognito Access token lifetime Default 1h – the value is configurable 1h – cannot be modified

ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded

Today blog post will be started with the following error when running DB tests on the CI machine: threw exception: System.InvalidOperationException: The Entity Framework provider type 'System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.SqlProviderServices, EntityFramework.SqlServer' registered in the application config file for the ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'System.Data.SqlClient' could not be loaded. Make sure that the assembly-qualified name is used and that the assembly is available to the running application. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=260882 for more information. at System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.DependencyResolution.ProviderServicesFactory.GetInstance(String providerTypeName, String providerInvariantName) This error happened only on the Continuous Integration machine. On the devs machines, everything has fine. The classic problem – on my machine it’s working. The CI has the following configuration: TeamCity .NET 4.51 EF 6.0.2 VS2013 It see